Saturday, August 23, 2008

Lightning Struck Our House

Lightning struck our house this morning. I was getting ready to step outside to go to the bank and turned to look for the umbrella since it was pouring down rain. Then BOOM and a ball of fire and holy crapola!

We have 3 pines growing up through our deck and 2 were hit. Hub was on the laptop and got a little shock, but is ok, thank God. We looked outside when the rain slowed. There are 2 holes blown in the side of the house. And there were 2 dead birds lying on the deck. :(

We have no power. The electric company came and restored it from the main source, but an electrician has to come check things out before we can check to see what appliances might have been fried.

Oh, the fire department was here, too, looking for heat with a geothermal camera, and said it looked fine.

Sheesh! What an exciting day. I'm exhausted. I'm just glad the hub wasn't hurt, and that I didn't step outside when I planned to.

I guess this is the price you pay for living on a hill in the woods. The picture of the wooded lane at the top of the page is our lane, part of the beauty we get to enjoy here everyday.

But I'm still shook up!

5 comments:

judycolby said...

Thank goodness you're both okay. Sounds scary.
Judy

mertoo said...

It was scary! Thanks Judy.
BTW, we didn't lose any major appliances, but lost half a dozen smaller things.

judycolby said...

Post photos, you can add them to your origianl. I want to see this. So now you have to replace all the small appliances. Was DH's computer okay?

Anonymous said...

I'm out of town for the week, Judy, and on a borrowed computer, but will try to remember to do it when things settle down.

DH was on my good laptop, and for some reason, it lived through it! YAY!!!

Christina said...

Wow - how scary! I'm glad you're okay. I'm with Judy - post photos. That isn't something that happens everyday.