Thursday, September 11, 2008

I Feel So Guilty

We went to Applebee's for dinner last night while on a trek to the "city" for my meds at Walmart. (BTW, I was able to get 3 months worth of generic Synthroid for $10!!! What a deal!)

Anyway, we were sitting there waiting for our meals, and an older lady was walking with 2 little boys holding her hands past our table. I looked at the little one, who was maybe 2 yrs old and at first I thought he was a little person or a handicapped child. But then I looked again. This baby was so obese he could barely walk. His belly was protruding. His cheeks were red and huge. I looked at my DH and said "That baby has Cushing's. Look." He, of course, has not studied our "kind" like I have. This was an obvious case. I thought I need to talk to them. The lady walked around the restaurant and sat far away from us - on the other side of the bar. I kept watching to see if any of them got up and moved around anymore. I thought I needed to tell them what is wrong with their child.

The group consisted of an older couple, a young couple, and 2 little boys. Everyone else sitting at that table was normal sized. I was going over in my head what I should say to them. Should I say "Does your child have Cushing's?" or "Have you ever heard of Cushing's?" or what? I didn't know what to do.

They got up and left. I didn't do or say anything. I feel so guilty! What if they don't know what is wrong with their precious little boy? I keep telling myself that of course they know. Any doctor who looked at him would know.

Wouldn't they?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, Mary...I sure hope a doctor figures it out....

It's so tough to know what to do. Maybe I need to do a "baby" version of my cards? (I forget to carry them with me half the time)